March has certainly lived up to its reputation of coming in like a lion. We have had warm weather, snow weather, and frigid weather. No matter what the weather, time is trucking along and I can rest easy knowing spring is right around the corner. And who doesn’t get comforted by the idea that spring is coming?!
There are some recipes that I just really enjoy making. I don’t love cooking every time I’m in the kitchen but I do enjoy this recipe. It is easy to clean-up and the smell is so aromatic you’ll be counting down the seconds until the oven timer goes off.
I’ve seen many sheet pan meals online but haven’t quite liked them enough to make them. I discovered a recipe similar to this one and thought to myself how much I loved every ingredient listed. This led me to this deliciousness. There is something so satisfying about putting everything onto a sheet pan and calling it a day! Not to mention…the satisfaction of knowing you’re getting protein, vegetables, and bacon all dressed with balsamic dressing. As much as I love balsamic, it can be quite overpowering. This recipe is a great balance of flavor (from the balsamic) and texture (from the apples, brussel sprouts, and onion) that it will please any crowd. I’ve also been cautious with sheet pans because I don’t like eating food that all tastes the same. This does not do that! I can’t explain it but it goes together so nicely without blending too much and loosing the uniqueness of each character. This is great alone or you can make a pot of rice or quinoa to accompany the dish!
1.5 lb. chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
12 oz. brussel sprouts, halved
6 slices bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 granny smith apples, cored and chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
3-4 springs of fresh rosemary, chopped
1. Prepare the marinade by combing the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, lemon and 2 springs of the rosemary in a blender. Combine until smooth.
2. Place the chicken along with most of the marinade in a large bowl to marinade. You can marinade the chicken for 15 minutes or a full 24 hours if you have the time.
3. Place the brussel sprouts, bacon, red onion,apple, and chicken onto a large sheet pan. Drizzle any remaining dressing over the pan.
4. Bake in a preheated oven of 375 degrees and cook for 25 minutes. Increase the temperature to 425 for 10 minutes to brown and crisp everything up!
5. Top with remaining rosemary serve and enjoy:)