Where does most people get inspiration from? Sometimes I think I’m the most random person on the planet. I was watching something on t.v. this morning where someone was making sweet potatoes with cumin. I cannot honestly tell you what they were making other than the fact that there was sweet potatoes and cumin going on. This recipe was a sweet collision of what I found in the grocery store and my hankering for something with a lot of flavor. And boy, did this deliver. My husband said…and I quote “This is the best meal I’ve had, maybe all summer, definitely one of your best recipes ever” 😀
I struggled to come up with a name for this concoction because I didn’t want you to feel limited to a burrito. You can just eat this “filling” alone or with lettuce (check out the notes at the end of the directions for some ideas). I used a gluten free tortilla shell, and I’m still in search for the best one…perhaps I’ll just make my own.
This recipe made about 6 large burritos for us!
1 large sweet potato, small cubed
1 lb chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup cooked quinoa
taco sauce or salsa of choice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix the seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, drizzle the sweet potatoes with olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) and toss. Add 1/2 of the prepared seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Next to the sweet potatoes on the same baking sheet, add the chopped red onion. Bake for a total of 30 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes of cooking the sweet potatoes, add the chicken to the oven. Drizzle olive oil over both sides of the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning over the chicken. Bake for a total of 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
5. Shred the chicken using two forks immediately after removing from oven.
6. Assemble the farmer’s burrito starting with the fresh spinach, sweet potato and onion, cooked quinoa, chicken, and sauce or salsa of choice.
**You can use your favorite tortilla shell, lettuce wrap, eat over a bed of arugula, or just enjoy the filling as is!