I recently traveled and visited a beautiful Greek eatery and enjoyed some delicious, authentic Greek food. I’ve always been attracted to fresh ingredients and Greek food certainly fits into that category. This Greek Chicken Bowl happened organically as I purchased a bunch of fresh herbs and veggies and created a beautiful medley of flavor. I love when a meal brings together a variety of flavors, textures, and notes that bring you asking for seconds! This meal fed our family of five and gave us leftovers for lunches. SCORE! You can also play around with so many different possibilities and simplify when needed. I bought a store bought dairy free tzatziki. You can add katamala olives, radish, pickled onion, quinoa, chickpeas …the possibilities are simply endless!
2 lbs chicken breast (about 3)
1/4 cup avocado oil
2 lemons juiced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
For the bowls:
3 cups chopped kale
1 red pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups cooked rice
1. To prepare the marinade for the chicken, mix all ingredients for the marinade. In a shallow container, place the chicken and marinade. Be sure the marinade covers the chicken completely. Marinade for 30 minutes up to 24 hours.
2. Prepare the kale by laying the kale on a baking sheet and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with desired amount of salt and pepper. Roast the kale in a 400 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes, turning once or twice.
3. Saute the pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons of oil and desired amount of salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until slightly tender.
4. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side until cooked to an internal temperature of 165.
5. To assemble the bowls, place the rice, roasted kale and peppers and onions in a bowl. Top with tzatziki, lemon and fresh parsley.