Spaghetti squash has become quite popular lately. I have to admit, I am not a fan of it all the time but this combo is a great mix of flavors. Turkey sausage is a much healthier choice than pork sausage and the loaded greens in this dish boost the nutrition.
1 spaghetti squash
1 lb. turkey sausage
1 cup frozen peas
1 bunch broccoli rabe
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic
Coconut oil for sautéing
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400◦F.
2. Prepare spaghetti squash buy cutting lengthwise. Remove seeds and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet cut side down. Roast in oven for 40 minutes and flip. Roast for another 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and can be easily removed with a fork.
3. Sauté minced onion in a skillet with coconut oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add turkey sausage to skillet and cook until brown. Grate garlic into skillet, reducing heat. *If turkey sausage is without seasoning, add fennel, thyme, parsley, basil or other preferred seasoning*
4. Roughly chop broccoli rabe and add to skillet. Cook covered on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
5. Add frozen peas and salt and pepper.
6. To the spaghetti squash, add olive oil, salt and pepper and fluff with fork.
7. Place spaghetti squash in serving bowl and top with turkey sausage and vegetables. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley.
Turkey sausage can be hard to find. Be mindful of additions, to the sausage when purchasing. This can be done with ground turkey but should be seasoned properly.
For time savors! Roast spaghetti squash and store in refrigerator. Bring to heat by microwaving with olive oil drizzle day of.
You could also use baby broccoli or just chop up a regular head of broccoli!