Mexican is a favorite in our household! Mexican can be deliciously healthy if you keep to lots of vegetables and meat flavored with spices and lime to brighten everything up. Not only is this a dinner we look forward to, but we always have leftovers for lunches. Between the beans, rice, chicken, and vegetables, you have a hearty meal filled with protein and healthy starches. My guacamole recipe is also included below for a delicious topping for this bowl. More and more research has been brought to the surface about how avocados are this powerful, nutrient dense, little vegetable (some would argue fruit) that should be consumed daily. We’ve tried to find clever ways to slip it into our meals, and this chicken fajita bowl was a no-brainer:)
1 lb. chicken breast, sliced into strips
2 onions, sliced
2 green peppers, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
½ cayenne pepper
½ garlic powder
1 cup rice, prepared as directed
1 cup black beans
1 limed, juiced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 ripe avocados
1 tablespoon red onion, grated or finely minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley or cilantro
½ lime juiced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400◦ F Prepare the seasonings for the fajitas by mixing together the spices.
2. Arrange the chicken, onions, and peppers in a 9×13 roasting dish. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture, tossing to coat vegetables and chicken. Drizzle oil and ½ of lime’s juice and bake for 25-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked completely.
3. Meanwhile, make the guacamole by mashing up avocados. Add all ingredients and mix until combined or until you reach the desired consistency.
4. Prepare the rice and beans as directed.
5. Once the chicken fajitas are done, add the juice of the remaining lime to the chicken and top with freshly chopped parsley.
6. Assemble bowls with rice, beans, peppers, chicken, and top with guacamole.