I tended to roll my eyes at the thought of having casserole as a child. I had many Shepard’s Pies made with white potatoes and usually zero flavor. This recipe is so delicious because of the full flavor because of the sweet potatoes. I also find this perfect mix of vegetables is not only classy, but never let’s you down. This meal is wonderful to bring to a friend, host with, or make ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. I’ve shared with you my love for make ahead meals, and this I absolutely love. It’s delicious for lunch leftovers too:)
1 lb ground beef
1 cup carrot, finely diced
1 cup onion, finely diced
½ celery, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup beef broth
½ cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 lb sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons coconut milk
½ teaspoon salt
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400◦F.
2. To make the sweet potato crust, boil sweet potatoes until tender. Strain water or remove potatoes from pot into another bowl. Add coconut milk and salt and mash completely. Set aside.
2. On medium heat, sauté the carrot, onion, and celery until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Defrost the frozen peas and add to vegetable mixture. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
3. Cook the ground beef, seasoning with salt and pepper until browned. Once the meat is cooked, add the beef broth and cook for another 8-10 minutes on low.
4. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and vegetables along with the thyme. Place the filling in an 8×8 pan. Cover the filling with the mashed sweet potatoes.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Finish by broiling on high for five minutes. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.