I’ve fallen IN LOVE with risotto. I don’t know if its the richness of the rice or the high flavor, but I’m completely won over and can’t get enough. Many risottos I’ve tried contain heavy cream and cheese, which can be a bit much. I have perfected this recipe that is just as delicious without the heaviness of a ‘typical’ risotto. It is the perfect comfort food and pairs beautifully with scallops. My scallops are extremely basic but I think they have so much flavor on their own that you don’t need many other ingredients. And who doesn’t love a simple recipe?
This recipe is wonderful since it looks amazing but its really not complicated. The timing for prep is important since you want to serve the scallops fresh. I tried to give you my best detailed instructions to ensure your dinner will be just as delicious as mine was. Indulge a little bit and enjoy something so delicious! Spoil yourself and feel like you’ve made a restaurant quality meal in the comfort of your own home:)
1/2 lb of scallops (you can do scallop pieces or bay scallops but I love the whole)
1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked risotto (aborio rice)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large handfuls of spinach or kale
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Honey Glazed Carrots
1 bag baby carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small bowl, mix olive oil and honey until combined. On a large baking sheet, sprinkle carrots out evenly. Drizzle the oil and honey mixture over the carrots, massaging the carrots to coat completely. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, flip, then continue baking for another 15 or until tender.
2. Cook the risotto in a saucepan with the liquids and salt until boiling. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
3. In a large skillet, saute raw spinach with olive oil, covered until completely wilted. Set aside.
4. Once the risotto and spinach are cooked, prepare a cast iron skillet for the scallops. Let the skillet heat up for 3-4 minutes on high heat. Once the skillet is hot, Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Sear scallops on one side and cover. Cook for 2 minutes. Flip scallops and cook for another 2 minutes. If you prefer a mildly raw center, remove from heat. If you prefer a more cooked center, turn off heat and let scallops cook for another 1-2 minutes.
5. To assemble, place risotto in the center of your place (I did about 1/2 cup cooked risotto per person). Next, place wilted greens onto of the risotto followed by the baby carrots. Top with scallops. Finish with fresh lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, parsley and sea salt.