I love when recipes come about spontaneously! This was another “throw together whatever is in the fridge” meal. Even though it was unplanned, it turned out so delicious! It’s no surprise that I love sundried tomatoes and this recipe is bursting with that tangy flavor.
You can swap this with chicken or sausage. For my grain-free friends, this would be delicious with zucchini zoodles!
1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 onion, diced
12 oz of penne pasta, cooked according to directions (I used gluten free)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
salt and pepper
Sundried Tomato Pesto
1 cup sundried tomatoes
1 cup of parsley or basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Make the pesto by combining sundried tomatoes, parsley or basil, salt and pepper into a food processor and pulse until chopped, about 15-20 seconds. Add olive oil and pulse until combined to make a pesto paste.
2. Cook the shrimp in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Flip the shrimp once after 2 minutes of cooking. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet.
3. Saute the onion in the remaining olive oil and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add the pesto to the skillet and stir, allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk, slowly mixing it into the pesto and onion mixture. Cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or two.
5. Return the shrimp to the skillet. Next add the pasta.
6. Scoop into bowls and enjoy!